Tuesday, June 24, 2008

Independence Day

I LOVE Independence Day! As a kid, my folks would take us all to spectacular fireworks displays. As a kid, there was something magical about a whole community coming out to lie on the cool, summer grass and gaze at the stars until the sky erupted. As a teen, it gave us all an excuse to raise a little hell while our parents were occupied with Bar-B-Ques and socializing. But as an adult, I didn’t really pay much attention to Independence Day. Actually, I didn’t think much about what being an American meant, that is until two things happened.

In the summer of 1997, I found myself on the Staten Island Ferry, returning from meeting a property developer who wanted to market Staten Island to Wall Street as an easy commute option. It was well after eight and faced with at least another hour commute before I could drop on my sofa, I was tired, hungry, and more than a little crabby. I started flipping through a Glamour magazine when a young man sat down in the seat facing me. Now I have always been a “typical New Yorker” when it comes to public transportation and I do my best to not engage anyone. A lesson learned the hard way in 1993 when my attempt at friendliness got me about killed on the subway….but that is another story….

Anyway, I am reading my magazine, minding my own business when the young man across the seat sits blot up and presses his hands and face against the window. “That’s her,” he says in an excited whisper, “that’s really her?!” He turns to me and says with tears streaming down his face, “I’ve waited my whole life to see her” before tuning back to the window gazing at the Statue of Liberty, “she is beautiful” he said without turning away. After the Statue was out of sight, he got up and went to the back of the Ferry to watch her in the distance. And as I sat there, I found that my own face was wet with tears. This person had waited his whole life to experience what we take for granted every day. The Statue of Liberty seemed to me to be little more than a tourist attraction. But to him, it was the symbol of all that is good in this country and even now, over a decade later, thinking about it makes me cry.

A few years ago, I worked in Europe for a brief period. I had traveled many times through Europe in the past, but this was my first experience as a “resident” and I was eager to show my children all of the unique cultural differences that exist between countries. We met a great many fine people, saw beautiful land and city scapes, tasted wonderful foods, and gained a greater understanding of the history of humanity. But. And this is a huge B U T. We witnessed open and overt acts of racism, sexism, and intolerance to people from other countries and other religions that would never be tolerated in the US. We watched as political and ideological expression was quashed, sometimes violently. We came to understand that for many, the attempt to better ones self was not seen as an admirable quality, but rather as an act of snobbery and ego that should be snuffed out as early as possible.

This experience, though shocking and difficult as it was to witness, bred a patriotism in me and in my family, much stronger than we could have ever gained by reading about our country in school or watching a parade on TV. It instilled a sense of pride in my children that I hope will never diminish. And for anyone who feels that the US, even with all its problems and flaws, is not the greatest place on this planet, you need only spend time anywhere else in the world to re-evaluate your position.

So, Independence Day is akin to a religous celebration in our home and we really go all out. I hope that in this year of dramatic changes in the political landscape and with our brave men and women fighting for our freedoms and the freedom of democracy abroad that we can all make this the best Independance Day ever!

Tomorrow: Best vantage points to see the fireworks
Great Picnic Food
Easy Decorations for your Independence Day celebrations
Great ways to show your pride!

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

I take used to take the Ferry everyday when we lived out by the mall. I saw a lot of people who were so excited about seeing the Statue of Liberty, it really makes you think.

Anonymous said...

OMG that’s so moving. Its totally true, people don’t really appreciate things unless they have to experience life without it.
Liz

Anonymous said...

We love the 4th in our house too! Since my husband came back from Iraq he is even more patriotic and reminds us all of the freedoms that we take for granted.

The Nouveau Native Girls said...

People should consider sending a care package to our troops overseas or to shut in vets here in the US.
Tamara

Response: That is an excellent idea. My kids send letters to troups and have become pen pals with some of our service men and women. If you want to find out how to help support the troups: http://www.anysoldier.com/WhatToSend.cfm or to send care packages conatct: http://www.treatanysoldier.com/